Thursday, May 12, 2016

7 Ways to Build Your Emotional Immunity

If you're like most people, there are probably times when life gets you feeling like this guy:

As you probably know, it's hard to accomplish anything productive in this state - everything can seem dark, negative, unpleasant, and toxic. Feeling this way easily spills over into your attitude about your work, family, friends, and social situations, which can cause some major problems if left unchecked. Hopefully these negative times are infrequent for you - I experience this kind of a dip in my emotions from time to time, and it can definitely hurt my productivity and relationships at home and work.

 The ideal, of course, is to feel like this guy:

In this state, you are more positive, energetic, bright, upbeat, and full of resilient energy. When you are in this state, you feel immune to the negativity in the world and are prepared to deal with the obstacles that you face in life. You are more effective and positive in everything you do. But sometimes these feelings can feel fleeting or random. So, how can you build emotional immunity and maintain your positive energy? 

Building Emotional Immunity
Just like your body's immune system that prevents and fights disease in the body, you can build an emotional immunity to the noxious negativity that is part of life. There are specific things that you can do to build this immunity and increase your personal sense of vitality, energy, and health in life. Certainly, things that happen to you can affect your emotional state, but since you can't really control these things, you might as well focus on the things that you can control.

Below are seven tried and true strategies for building a powerful emotional immunity. These habits are like vitamins that keep your mind, body, and spirit in good health. 



1 Eat Healthy Food
What you eat has a profound impact on your well-being. Eat the foods that are nutrient-dense and avoid foods that deliver little or no value. Fruits and vegetables are powerful sources of nutrition. I find that I am most energized when I limit dairy, meat, and refined foods and focus on eating whole grains, fruits, legumes, and vegetables.




2 Exercise
Exercise has a significant impact on your attitude and your ability to succeed at what you are doing. It boosts your energy level and helps you stay clear and focused. When I lift weights, walk, run and stretch, I have a greater sense of health and well-being and feel better about my day.




    
3 Sleep.
Sleep 7 to 9 hours a night for optimal health. I have found that I need about 8 hours to be in a healthy, clear state of mind. When you have been working long hours or need to recuperate, sleep for 10 or more hours and you will find yourself significantly refreshed.





4 Prayer and Meditation.
Prayer and meditation allow you to go inside and connect with the source of joy, peace, and life. I have found this to be a profoundly positive way to build my mental and emotional strength and immunity.




5 Inspirational Learning
Read and listen to uplifting books and audio programs. These help program your mind with the positive and the pure and help you se the world from a positive lens. Listen to spiritual leaders who can provide you with perspective and messages of peace, hope and joy. I am constantly listening to motivating, inspiring authors and speakers as I commute to and from work.






6 Nurture Relationships.
Nurture and enjoy positive relationships your family and friends. Serve and support the people around you. My beautiful wife is my best friend, and she provides me with a great deal of love, kindness and joy. Uninterrupted time with her is a great source of joy and rest for my mind and heart.




7 Hobbies.
Be sure to take time to work on personal projects that give you a sense of purpose and enjoyment. I have many projects that I like to work on - blogging, writing, yard work, etc. If I don't work on these hobbies and projects, my sense of well-being decreases.

These are 7 ways to build your emotional immunity. I often use these to infuse my mind, body, and spirit with positive energy, and they bring me a sense of balance, joy, and purpose.

If you feel like you need a boost in your emotional state, try a couple of the strategies above. Give them time - try it out for 30 days, and soon you will find yourself in a healthier, more positive state with greater happiness and success in everything you do. Just like this guy.