Wednesday, November 18, 2015

You Must Become Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable!

One of the most important things you will ever do on your road to becoming a finisher is to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. In the recent past I set a goal to complete a half marathon and a full marathon. However, if you ever met me in person, you would probably NEVER think of me as a runner. I am short, stocky, and shaped like a large fleshy brick. My body is genetically designed to lift large things, not run distances, yet I met my goal and have finished both a half and a full marathon.  

Here I am finishing the Bear Lake half marathon. It was difficult to achieve this goal, but it was an exciting success. 
So, how did I do it? I became comfortable with being constantly uncomfortable. I trained, stretched, received physical therapy, massages, and chiropractic services all to the end of reaching my goal. It was painful and unpleasant at times - I spent hundreds of hours running along roads and trails over hills, and mountains. But along the way I began to enjoy the challenge of the training. It became invigorating and inspiring to see my progress, to improve my health, and to move forward with great success.


Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable!
Just like training to run a marathon, your path to becoming a finisher will likely be uncomfortable. Working toward new goals and dreams is difficult and uncomfortable because it takes you out of your routine. It places strain on your mind and body that you did not previously have, and this can be painful. However, over time your body and mind will become stronger and your ability to succeed becomes more natural. Remember:


“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Satisfaction in the Struggle
You will learn to find satisfaction in the struggle. Working toward a goal is often as satisfying as reaching the goal. Training to run a race can be as exhilarating and beautiful as running the race. Studying to pass a class or earn a degree can be as satisfying as earning the degree. To build muscle, you must endure the pain of training. Consciously and consistently placing yourself on the path to success is success itself, so learn to love the process and path of success.


Make Friends with Discomfort
If you want to change and improve your life, you will have to become friends with the pain of learning, action, and setbacks. In time you will learn to enjoy these difficulties as personal challenges and will welcome them as a way to improve yourself.


A Challenge: Do Something Difficult

What have you been avoiding but know you need to do? What one difficult thing could you do right now to significantly increase your success? make a goal to do that task today or soon, and do it! Success breeds success, so set out to do something difficult and worthwhile.

1 comment:

Seafood Recipes said...

Thank you forr sharing this